2013 Official Schedule for Saturday Sept. 14th
06:30 a.m. - 08:30 a.m.
All Poultry in Place:
Judging: 10:30 a.m.
Release: 5:00 p.m.
Pee Wee: 5-7
Junior: 8 - 10
Intermediate: 11 - 13
Senior: 14 & older
PULLORUM TESTING AVAILABLE:
There will be a group testing day TBA at 25 Hartwood Road. Contact Kristen with any questions at - firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Poultry Department General Rules:
As the intent of the Stafford County Agricultural Fair is to send winners to the State Fair, All VA State Fair General Rules, Livestock Rules, Open Poultry Rules and the Show Ring Code of Ethics apply to this department. When special rules of the Youth Poultry Department conflict, the Youth Department rules will prevail. By submitting an entry form, you agree to read and abide by these and all State Fair rules that apply.
1. All exhibition poultry in the state of Va must originate from a flock that has been certified Pullorum free or have been tested and found negative for Pullorum-Typhoid within 90 days of the show. Birds will be leg banded after testing. Bands must remain on the birds being entered for show and match the number(s) listed on your DS form 9-2. Leg bands and form will be checked . Sick birds will be removed from show.
2. The Stafford County Agricultural Fair and Hartwood Days Festival, Stafford County Agricultural Competitions, and all concerned are not responsible in case of accident or injury occurring to contestants or animals.
3. Judging will be done according to the APA Standard of Perfection and the ABA Bantam Standard by a licensed Judge.
4. The show is open to all entries of standard and recognized non-standard varieties of Large Fowl and Bantams.
5. Exhibitors must be at least 5 years of age but no older than 18.
6. Definitions of Terms: "Cock" and "Hen" are chickens 12 months old or older. "Cockerel" and "Pullet" are chickens under 12 months of age.
7. Entry fee is $3.00 per bird. You can register HERE (preferred method) or, download the rules .pdf, and send entries to the address noted at the bottom of the entry form no later than August 31, 2013.
No more than 2 entries per child. Please include the following for each bird along with the child's name/age, address, phone number, and email address when entering by email:
Breed/Variety of each bird,
Cock, Hen, Cockerel, or Pullet
Bantam or Large Fowl
8. Children are not required to participate in showmanship in order to enter the poultry show. They also have the option to enter only showmanship but their bird will not be cooped in. Showmanship only participants must cage their birds elsewhere until the showmanship portion of the show starts.
9. All youth must be present for judging of their birds. There will be no one allowed in aisles until after the judging is completed. See the show secretary if you have any questions or concerns.
10. Once cooped in, birds are not to be handled by anyone other than the owner, Judge, or show management. No bird shall be removed from the show area without permission from show secretary.
11. Show Secretary must be notified immediately of any corrections necessary to entry forms. Swapping of birds the day of the show will NOT be permitted. Changes must be made before August 31, 2013.
12. Show cages are provided by the show host. Water and scratch will be available but you are welcome to bring your own.
13. All Birds must stay at the Festival Agricultural Area until 5 p.m. or awards will be withheld. No vehicles will be allowed on the grounds until after 5 p.m. on Saturday for retrieval of birds.
The showmanship portion of the show is sanctioned by the APA-ABA Youth Poultry Club. Practice questions, answers, and study materials can be found at http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/educational_material.htm
1. Exhibitor Requirements:
All exhibitors entered in the host club Junior Show Showmanship Contest are eligible to receive awards through this sanctioning even if not current members of the APA-ABA Youth Poultry Club.
The exhibitor will show handling skills and knowledge in all areas of raising a small poultry flock according to his/her age level and their knowledge of the standard for their showmanship bird. A guideline of "suggested" knowledge for showmanship for each age group is available on the Youth Club website: www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org
2. Age Groups:
The following three classes in showmanship will be recognized by the APA-ABA Youth Poultry Club.
Pee Wee (5-7),
Junior (approximate ages 8-10),
Intermediate (approx. ages 11-13),
Senior ( approx. ages 14 & up).
3. Dress Code:
All exhibitors should be required to dress neatly and appropriately for a showmanship class. Below are recommendations only and not a requirement. This class is a very public event and the exhibitors should be aware of this fact and show pride in their public appearance.
Pants: Dark blue or black jeans or slacks with belt. (no shorts, faded blue jeans)
Skirts: Dark blue or black, should be knee length or longer (no mini-skirts)
Shirts or Blouses: A white shirt or blouse with collar (tucked in)
No Graphic T-Shirts
Shoes: Closed toed shoes or boots.
Show coats (white or other colors acceptable)
4-H, Scout, or FFA uniforms accepted
Exhibitor should be clean and well groomed
Gum, drink, and food are prohibited during showmanship
4. Showmanship Bird:
Please remember the bird itself is not being judged-the showmanship contestant is being judged on handling skills and poultry knowledge. Any bird used for showmanship should be bathed and groomed as for showing. Birds with lice or mites, showing signs of illness or a contagious disease will excused from the showmanship class. Although the bird is not being judged, the skills of the exhibitor for choosing and preparing his purebred exhibition bird for showmanship is being considered. Using crossbred type birds are discouraged at sanctioned APA and ABA meets.
APA-ABA Youth Poultry Club
“My Favorite Breed”
The youth poster contest is an educational activity created to encourage children to learn
more about poultry. The contest will be held during the Stafford Co. Agricultural Fair Youth
Poultry Show at the Hartwood Days Festival on Saturday, September 14, 2013.
Due by: No later than 10AM the day of the show
Drop off location: APA-ABA Youth Poultry Club table located in the Agricultural Area.
Arrangements can be made with Tiffany Burchell, club leader, if you would prefer to drop off
posters prior to the festival.
Poster size: Must be 14”x22” or larger.
Pick up: Before 5pm otherwise poster will not be returned.
Poster theme: “My Favorite Breed”. Create an information poster about your favorite poultry
breed. Make sure to include photos and detailed information about your breed such as:
How many eggs they lay
Pros/cons of the breed
Origin of your fowl
Dual purpose, ornamental, or layers
Different varieties of your breed and feather patterns
Breed class and Standard
-Contest is open to youth only, including non-members, ages 5-18
-Posters must be created and made by the youth submitting them in the following 4 classes:
1.) Novice: Kindergarten-2nd Grade (assistance from parents is allowed)
2.) Junior: 3rd-5th Grade
3.) Intermediate: 6th-8th Grade
4.) Senior: 9th-12th Grade.
-Please include the child’s name and age on the back of the poster
-Any material can be used to create your poster (personal photos, clip art, pencils,
embellishments, crayons, etc.). Be creative!
-Must contain factual information and show proper usage of the poultry theme.
-Judging will take place at 11am and is conducted on an individual basis. Winners will be
announced at Noon.
-Winners will be selected from each age category. 1st place winners will move on to be judged
against each other to determine a grand prize winner.
Awards: Ribbons for 1st-3rd in each age category. Surprise for Grand Prize compliments of the
Fredericksburg, Va Tractor Supply Company.
*Activity points: Club members will automatically receive 20 Activity Points for participation.
Additional points will be awarded individually for Education based on the amount and accuracy
of information presented.
*Activity points only apply to those who are current members in good
standing with the APA-ABA Youth Poultry Club and do not in any way effect the outcome of the contest
Questions? Contact the Youth Poultry Show Secretary - Kristen Outten - email@example.com
As this is the Second year for these competions, we appreciate your patience, and welcome your suggestions.